Spiglord's World Cup 2006

Travelling the world for fun, football and beer....

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Almost Over....

Well, Fiona and I have now arrived in Koh Samui and are taking a well-earned rest from the hectic whirl that is Bangkok. Now don't get me wrong, Bangkok is a vibrant and exciting city but anything more than 3 days there and it will slowly start to drive you insane with its constant noise and energy-sapping heat, so it is great to make it to the peace of the islands.

As all good 'Farang' do here on Samui, we are now spending most of our time eating, reading and resting, with a small dose of swimming thrown in for good measure in a sea that is warm and calm. Even though we have only been here a few days, Fiona has managed to give herself a cracking sunburn and is now keeping herself out of the sun for the next few days to allow the redness to go down. I, on the other hand, am trying to cultivate a quality dark tan that I can make all my NZ work colleagues jealous with for all of 10 minutes...

I think it's quite dangerous to come to Koh Samui as our last stop on this fantastic trip of ours, as the lifestyle here can only make one think about staying here longer. This is my third visit here and I fall in love with it more and more each time. As I promised myself, I have been spending large portions of my days here laying around thinking about life, work and stuff, and trying to get some perspective on what I really want to do with the rest of my life...? Hmmm... It's a difficult choice... I could continue being an average project manager in a soulless corporate institution or maybe I should be getting my finger out and doing something that actually engages and excites me a little. As I always say to anyone bored enough to listen, "there are those that do, and those that dream about it", I guess it might be time to stop dreaming...??

Anyway, I must grab another beer and hurry off back to my deckchair on the beach and dream a little more...

Later
SteveG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, my dreamer friend, watch out what you wish for! Working for that souless corporate company allows you to take a 2 month vacation every 4 years too. If were to do something as self gratifying as your own business, then you may never get away. Tough choice; tough balancing act! By the way, REMEMBER, if you see the water from the beach flow back out to the ocean....run as fast in the other direction as possible!
Sweet Dreams, Dude.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate... just as well some of those in that company ain't souless!!
You've got me reminiscing Ko Samui.. top place it is. As for "there are those that do, and those that dream about it"... i only recall you always saying... there are only 2 types of people, there's us and the rest are ***ts (or something along those lines... always too pissed to remember).

C ya when you make it back fella... looking forward to catching up again.

Cheers
Brendon

PS... you can make a difference within that souless company if you wish to!! and it would benefit from it... maybe you too.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home