Spiglord's World Cup 2006

Travelling the world for fun, football and beer....

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Moving on...

As you can see I have been trying to catch up on my posts to the blog, but I am still hopelessly behind, but I will be filling in the missing bits when time allows. Suffice to say that we have had a great time so far, managed to catch a live semi-final game, (Germany vs Italy), transferred to Berlin, done a ton of cultural stuff and watched the World Cup Final on the Berlin Fan Mile, which was an experience.

Fiona and I are now in Bangkok having had an awesome week and a half in Berlin which was a revelation since my last visit 20 years ago. Berlin has changed beyond all recognition since the wall came down, and I would have to put it near the top of my most favourite cities anywhere in the world. I guess it helped that we were staying with some really knowledgeable people and that the city was in party mode for the world cup, but even so, if you get the chance I seriously recommend a visit.

Bangkok is still Bangkok...!! It's still fast frenetic and mind-blowingly busy, but even with the insidious westernisation of its culture, it's still an exciting place to visit. It's also as hot as a glassblowers arse but fortunately, the Thai's have their Air Conditioning cranked all the way up to sub-arctic which make it just about bearable. Today we are taking it really easy as the jetlag has left my body feeling displaced and tired, tomorrow we will do the tourist thing as this is Fiona's first visit here and there is quite a few cool temples and things to see.

Unfortunately it will all be over too soon and we will be back in Christchurch in about 10 days.... :-( We are looking forward to being back home, (funny how much you miss your own bed after a while), but I am not sure how we will cope with the NZ winter, as the weather in Germany was awesome and it's 35 degrees here in Bangkok... I guess we will need to 'rug-up' on that final flight...

SteveG

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, Great stuff. Love reading your blog. Even JoJo loves to read it also. Hope you and Fiona are getting a well deserved rest before heading home. Your visit was to short here in Cali. Can't wait for you to post a web site with many, many photos.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...jetlag has left my body feeling displaced and tired...", my glassblowers arse it has... more like too much boosing up mate. less than 10 days to go... look forward to catching some of your stories live in person... take care and have fun in Ko Samui... catch ya soon.

Cheers
Brendon

12:51 PM  
Blogger The Lair Dweller, aka Stephen said...

Thanks for your comments guys.... I'll sort out some photo's when I get back home, and I even have some video that might give a flavour of the whole trip.

Me boozing..?? You've got it all wrong mate... honestly...!! I am looking forward to that first 'coffee' on Monday morning. looks like it might be your shout Brendon...

SteveG

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home